Thursday, June 18, 2009

sad sad day :(

We have been wanting to go camping for a while.  Last summer we never went, and now we have the bug.  Friday we decided to go out to a nearby lake, sail and camp.  We got to the lake early afternoon and all the campsites were already full, so we decided to hang out and sail and swim for the afternoon.
So, we unloaded the boat and got the sails up and pushed out.  Russ was really excited cause the weather had reported strong winds.  As soon as we were out of the bay and into open water, and I mean AS SOON, the wind got a bit intense- first the goose neck (big brass hook) popped off the mast holding the main sail and flew into the lake (grateful that no one was hit by that), the sail goes crazy, the rope wraps around my neck as the boat tips and starts taking on water. I free myself and am ready to jump overboard with Cannon, but then get the boat straightened out.  I look at Russ and say lets go in... and we 1/2 sail, 1/2 paddle in, crash into another boat so I jump off, burn my hand in the process but always feel safer in water... we get the boat docked and Russ goes to get the car.  PHEW... that was a fun 5 minutes! ha ha! Jack and Cannon start playing around while we wait for Russ to go get the car, and Jack says, "Mom, can you and Dad stop saying crap now?  You know, that's a bad word"  -thanks J!  Thank goodness thats all we say! ha ha ha!!! 
So... we load up the boat, and decide to drive around to the beach so the boys can play while we take the sails down.  Drive is just around the nearby corner.  Well, were talking about what just happened, bummed that we lost pieces into the lake when BOOOOOM!!!  And people start yelling.  The boom is so loud, I think the boat must have fallen off the trailer? No, there were dumb electric lines, low, that we failed to notice, and broke the mast completely in half... second major blessing... we didn't get electrocuted, it just surged the wires on the mast.... phewwww...
We tried to be happy and still have a little fun, we fished a bit, and then called it a day... it may have been a stay at home kind of Friday!!!

3 comments:

Tera said...

That sounds very scary. I am so glad you weren't hurt.

MK said...

uh, that is scary! So glad you guys are ok. I can't even imagine.

Momza said...

wow. that was a day I hope you never re-live! Glad you're all safe!!